Friday, September 18, 2009

Lockerbie : Al Megrahi publishes appeal documents online

Megrahi siteAbdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi – My Story. A website set up for Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the man convicted of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in December 1988, and recently released on compassionate grounds by the SNP controlled Scottish Government, has now published documents relating to his appeal, which it increasingly looks like no one in the Scottish justice system wanted to hear due to what would be uncovered.

The website can be found here : Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi – My Story

BBC News reports :

Bomber publishes appeal documents

The Libyan convicted of the Lockerbie bombing has published documents on the internet which he claims will prove his innocence.

Hundreds of pages relating to the appeal by Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi were put on a new website.

Megrahi, who has terminal prostate cancer, was freed on compassionate grounds last month.

Before his release, he dropped his second appeal against conviction for killing 270 people in 1988.

His Scottish lawyers, Taylor and Kelly, said the documents published on the website related to that appeal.

In a statement, Megrahi said: "I have returned to Tripoli with my unjust conviction still in place.

"As a result of the abandonment of my appeal, I have been deprived of the opportunity to clear my name through the formal appeal process.

"I have vowed to continue my attempts to clear my name."

Megrahi was jailed in 2001 after being convicted by a Scottish Court in the Netherlands of the UK's worst terrorist atrocity.

A first appeal against that conviction failed and he dropped a second appeal last month.

No comments: