Saturday, December 22, 2007

Northern Constabulary Chief 'considers' new investigation into Wick harbour death.

After damning reports on the disgraceful conduct of Northern Constabulary towards the family of Kevin Mcleod, who is thought to have been murdered at Wick Harbor over ten years ago, the force's Chief Constable claims he is 'considering' a new investigation into the case.

Surely a "Yes, there will be a new independent investigation" would be the correct thing to say ...

The Herald reports :

Police chief ‘considers’ new inquiry into harbour death


The mysterious death of a young Scot almost 11 years ago could be the subject of a new police investigation.

The prospect emerged yesterday at a meeting between Northern Constabulary's Chief Constable Ian Latimer and members of Kevin McLeod's family.

Mr Latimer apologised for the shortcomings of his force in the initial inquiry and in its response to the family's subsequent welter of complaints.

He also agreed to consider the family's request that an outside force review the circumstances surrounding the 24-year-old's unsolved death in his home town of Wick in February 1997.

After his body was recovered from the town's harbour, a post-mortem examination revealed severe damage to some of his internal organs.

His parents, Hugh and June McLeod, and uncle Allan McLeod are convinced he was brutally beaten shortly before he ended up in the water.

Police investigations failed to find evidence of foul play and a fatal accident inquiry recorded an open verdict.

Yesterday's meeting in Wick Assembly Rooms was convened after a recent report by Scottish Police Complaints Commissioner Jim Martin.

Mr Martin accused Northern Constabulary of "institutional arrogance" in its dealings with the family and called on Mr Latimer to tender an overdue apology.

MP John Thurso, who chaired yesterday's two-hour private meeting, said: "Mr Latimer apologised unreservedly to the McLeod family in the manner recommended by Mr Martin.

"It's an apology which the family have accepted in full."

Mr Latimer had told the family he would contact the Crown Office early in the new year to discuss the family's request for a new inquiry.

No comments: